One of the biggest nutrition challenges for most of us is getting enough servings per day of vegetables. Vegetables are the foundation of any truly healthy meal plan. Not one nutrition plan that I have ever read or seen, and believe me I have read through hundreds of different plans, has ever shunned vegetables. We all agree that they are at the pinnacle of great nutrition. You may ask why?
- Veggies are high in dietary fiber, both soluble and insoluble.
- Veggies contain lots of vitamins
- Veggies contain lots of minerals
- Veggies have many different phytonutrients which do things like fight cancer
- Large servings of veggies help us feel full longer
- They digest more slowly releasing energy out to the body over a couple hours
- They are surprisingly HIGH IN PROTEIN. They have about a 2:1 carb to protein ratio
- They taste great if you fix them up in the right ways
A great way to get four servings of veggies all at once that taste great and go down easy is my veggie confetti. This dish goes with EVERYTHING…
Eat it by itself, throw it on omelets, top off a salad with some, throw it in a soup, use it as a replacement for stuffing, use it as a side dish with dinner, etc. I am literally eating some right now as I am typing this out. J
SARINA’S VEGGIE CONFETTI
1 orange, yellow or red bell pepper
1 head of endive
a handful of snow peas or snap peas
I prefer using all organic vegetables whenever possible. Cut all of the veggies up into very small cubes or slices. It’s a lot of cutting but just get it done, this will yield a large Tupperware of veggie confetti that you can grub on for four or five days.
If you want to make a “salad” out of the confetti veggies, then toss the cut up veggies in the following dressing:
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
1 ½ TBSP Bragg’s liquid aminos
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp minced ginger (or use powdered ginger in a pinch)
1 small clove fresh minced garlic (or you can buy minced garlic “ice cubes” in freezer section at Trader Joes, which saves time.)
Toss and mix all together and it keeps very well in the fridge for about 4-5 days.
For nutrition questions and meal plans call Coach Sarina at 602-999-9727